Acrylic Wind Blocker with perfect fit

One year ago, I designed my first acrylic wind blocker.  Thanks to great support from the Miata community, I was able to continuously work on improvements.  I made several options and a few modifications of mounting clips. The main challenge was to design a product that could work in many different cars. It turned out that tolerances on major dimension between hoops are quite big, +/- 2mm. That meant that one wind blocker could have a very loose fit in one car and a super tight fit in another, leaving the only option of making custom mounting clips for each individual case.

I decided to design new adjustable mounting clips. With this design, vertical adjustment of the clip position will also change the horizontal position up to 2mm. And everything can be tightened with one screw. No more glue involved! This makes it  easy to replace clips if more tuning is required, for a wider gap.

ckips

Clip position for wider gaps on te left

The bottom mounting clips have also been redesigned. Now the acrylic portion is going down to the 3D printed clip, which makes construction stronger and no more glue is needed for attachment.

WB-clip2

WB-clip1

 

 

The new design is available for all options from my store store.mx5things.com

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s